On April 14, 2022, Worldwide Federation of Bodybuilding and Health (IFBB) Professional League bodybuilder Hunter Labrada confirmed off his energy and stamina within the squat rack. After attaching resistance bands to his rack and barbell, and elevating his heels on small platforms, Labrada squatted 495 kilos for 17 unbroken reps.
Try the elevate under — the place Labrada donned a lifting belt, lifting straps, and knee sleeves — by way of his Instagram profile.
Looking for Extra
Like many IFBB Professional League bodybuilders, Labrada is in the midst of his low season. No matter he does to prepare and get better has appeared to work out fairly nicely for him all through his profession. Listed here are Labrada’s full competitors outcomes to this point, per NPC Information On-line:
- 2016 Nationwide Physique Committee (NPC) Department Warren Basic (Heavyweight) — 1st place
- 2016 NPC San Antonio Extravaganza (Tremendous Heavyweight) — 1st place
- 2017 NPC Europa Dallas (Tremendous Heavyweight) — 1st place
- 2018 NPC Junior USA Championships (Tremendous Heavyweight) — 1st place
- 2018 NPC Nationwide Championships (Tremendous Heavyweight) — 1st place | Earned Professional Card
- 2020 IFBB Tampa Professional (Males’s Open division) — 1st place
- 2020 IFBB Mr. Olympia (Males’s Open division) — eighth place
- 2021 IFBB Chicago Professional (Males’s Open division) — 1st place
- 2021 IFBB Mr. Olympia (Males’s Open division) — 4th place
It’s not onerous to discover a potential cause why Labrada grew to become an expert bodybuilder. His father is the legendary Lee Labrada — the 1985 Mr. Universe and a member of the IFBB Professional Bodybuilding Corridor of Fame. His mom, Robin, additionally as soon as competed as a bodybuilder.
It seems Labrada determined to comply with in his guardian’s footsteps by turning into one among fashionable bodybuilding’s extra notable lively athletes.
Advantages of Banded, Heel-Elevated Squats
A conventional squat is already a high quality approach to activate and develop lower-body muscle groups. If an athlete provides bands into the combo — which, when pulling towards the athlete’s energy, can add extra resistance to reps — they’re normally aiming for a stiffer problem. The advantages are much more foundational when using bands throughout a high-repetition set like Labrada’s.
Analysis exhibits that utilizing bands in high-repetition weight lifting results in important enhancements in isokinetic energy — the place the pace of a motion is constant whereas the resistance stays fixed. Athletes who actively work on their isokinetic energy might rehabilitate a preexisting damage by exerting management over the resistance of their elevate. (1)
As we speak I used to be nonetheless a bit gunshy, not going to lie, however there wasn’t any ache like final session, just a bit consciousness within the beforehand injured space.
In Labrada’s case, he wrote in his Instagram caption that he strained his quad calmly the final time he tried squatting. Using banded squats might have been a method for him to ease again in.
The identical damage prevention rationale can apply to heel-elevated squats, too. One examine confirmed that athletes who sometimes squatted elevated heels noticed higher hip mobility and ankle flexibility over a constant coaching interval. (2)
By utilizing bands and elevating his heels, Labrada’s squat may need been about taking good care of his quads and making an attempt to enhance points of his decrease physique stability.
Highway to 2022 Mr. Olympia
After a fourth-place end within the 2021 Mr. Olympia, Labrada will once more doubtless be one among this 12 months’s high contenders for the title. The Open division, specifically, ought to characteristic a stacked discipline with names like defending champion Mamdouh “Huge Ramy” Elssbiay and runner-up Brandon Curry. Offered Labrada stays diligent along with his coaching, he might discover himself supplanting his rivals this time round.
The 2022 Mr. Olympia will happen on December 15-18, 2022, in Las Vegas, NV.
- Jee, YS. (2015). Usefulness of measuring isokinetic torque and stability means for train rehabilitation. Journal of Train Rehabilitation. 2015 Apr; 11(2): 65–66.
- Sriwarno, A.B., Shimomura, Y., Iwanaga, Ok., Katsuura, T. (2008). The Results of Heel Elevation on Postural Adjustment and Exercise of Decrease-Extremity Muscular tissues throughout Deep Squatting-to-Standing Motion in Regular Topics. Journal of Bodily Remedy Science. 2008 Feb; 20(1): 31-38.
Featured picture: @hunterlabrada on Instagram