Olympian weightlifters are persistently a few of the world’s strongest athletes. Along with her newest staggering feat in coaching, Katherine Nye is not any exception. On April 22, 2022, the Workforce USA weightlifter — who competes within the 76-kilogram weight class — logged a brand new private file when she squatted 186 kilograms (410 kilos).
Try the stellar PR squat beneath, by way of Nye’s Instagram profile:
Nye accomplished the squat whereas carrying a lifting belt, knee sleeves, and heeled weightlifting sneakers. These sneakers allowed her to make use of extra of her ankle flexibility and higher have interaction her quads.
As well as, Nye makes use of a girls’s weightlifting bar, which is lighter (15 kilograms) than a standard barbell (20.4 kilograms). Alongside those self same strains, girls’s weightlifting bars have extra flexibility. Which may clarify why Nye’s bar bends and shakes a bit extra as she finishes the PR rep.
Provided that Olympic weightlifters solely give attention to the snatch and clear & jerk in competitions, Nye’s squat is a formidable mark. In context, amongst fellow power sports activities rivals, Nye’s 186-kilogram squat (410 kilos) compares effectively. Per Open Powerlifting, her squat would rank because the eighth-heaviest uncooked squat in historical past by feminine powerlifters who compete across the approximate 76-kilogram weight class.
Right here’s the place Nye’s squat PR stands all time:
Highest Squats — Feminine Lifters (~76KG)
- Vilma Olsson (Sweden) — 209.9 kilograms (462.9 kilos)
- Rachel Torres (United States) — 199.9 kilograms (440.9 kilos)
- Amelia Mauritzon (Sweden) — 197.5 kilograms (435.4 kilos)
- Jackie Garzez (United States) — 192.5 kilograms (424.4 kilos)
- Agata Sitko (Poland) — 192.5 kilograms (424.4 kilos)
- Kristen Dunsmore (United States) — 187.4 kilograms (413.3 kilos)
- Alice Francis-Freeman (Scotland) — 187.4 kilograms (413.3 kilos)
- Katherine Nye (United States) — 186 kilograms (410 kilos)
- Jessica Buettner (Canada) — 184.9 kilograms (407.8 kilos)
Nye at a Look
At solely 23-years-old, Nye has constructed up fairly the resume for an Olympic weightlifter. She final competed within the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, the place she captured a silver medal for Workforce USA. It was her first Olympic medal in her first profession Olympic Video games.
Since her debut in 2016, throughout the Youth, Junior, and Senior divisions, Nye has made a reputation for herself as one of many prime names in Olympic weightlifting. She’s performed so effectively, Nye even appeared in the Forbes 30 Underneath 30 record in 2019.
Listed here are the perfect outcomes on the snatch and clear & jerk from Nye’s profession:
Katherine Nye — Finest Olympic Lifts
- Snatch — 112 kilograms (246.9 kilos) | 2019 World Weightlifting Championships
- Clear & Jerk — 138 kilograms (304.2 kilos) | 2020 Tokyo Olympics
Nye has constructed up fairly a baseline of finishes all through her profession. Based on the Worldwide Weightlifting Federation (IWF), she has certified for the rostrum in 9 of 10 IWF occasions.
Right here’s a tally of Nye’s total medal tally to this point:
Katherine Nye — Worldwide Medals
- Gold — 5 (2019 Junior World Championships; 2019 World Championships; 2019/2021 Pan American Championships; 2019 IWF Championships)
- Silver — 3 (2018 Junior World Championships; 2020 Pan American Video games; 2020 Tokyo Olympics)
- Bronze — 1 (2019 Pan American Video games)
Be aware: These medal counts are medals awarded within the Whole, which is the overall sum of the athlete’s prime snatch and prime clear & jerk.
The Highway to Paris
In anticipation of potential drug-related offenses, the Worldwide Olympic Committee (IOC) — the group for the Olympics — has reorganized its classes for Olympic weightlifters. Come the 2024 Paris Olympics, Nye’s 76-kilogram weight class will now not be a division. Nye has beforehand said over Instagram that she plans to compete at 71 kilograms once more — her division previous to Tokyo 2020.
Nye will undoubtedly be seeking to enhance upon her silver medal end roughly two years from now. She’ll possible have to beat the Neisi Dajomes — the reigning 76-kilogram Olympic Champion who beat Nye for the gold medal in Tokyo. If Nye’s new all-time highly effective squat is any indication, she’s effectively on her approach towards that bold purpose.
Featured Picture: @katherineenye on Instagram