On April 10, 2022, Grigsby pulled a staggering 415-kilogram deadlift (915 kilos) for 2 reps. He adopted the sizable two-rep set and confirmed off his stamina by pulling a 770-pound deadlift for eight reps — a quantity PR.
Take a look at each lifts beneath, courtesy of Grigsby’s Instagram profile:
Solely weeks faraway from notching knowledgeable powerlifting first, these are stellar coaching feats for the 28-year-old Grigsby. The powerlifter had beforehand famous he was working by minor quad tweaks. Consequently, he took the required precautions to keep away from any additional sudden pitfalls in coaching.
Beginning to do quantity once more, that is brutal
It appears Grigsby is nicely on his method again towards full energy and endurance with these respective pulls.
Placing within the Work
Grigsby stepping up his deadlift coaching is a wonderful signal for his prospects over the remainder of the 12 months 2022. With nearly a decade’s value of expertise beneath his belt, he’s no stranger to pushing for fulfillment as knowledgeable powerlifter.
Throughout the 2022 United States Powerlifting Affiliation (USPA) Virginia Seaside Traditional 2, Grigsby grew to become the primary particular person to deadlift over 1,000 kilos in a full powerlifting meet when he pulled 465 kilograms (1,025.2 kilos). He achieved this feat whereas competing within the uncooked 125-kilogram weight class.
Listed below are notable outcomes from Grigsby’s still-evolving profession:
- 2013 USPA Downing’s Fitness center Traditional — 1st total | Juniors
- 2013 USPA West Coast Open — 1st total | Juniors
- 2014 USPA Oregon State Open — 1st total | Juniors
- 2014 USPA Washington State Summer season Energy Wars — 1st total | Juniors
- 2014 USPA West Coast Regional Powerlifting Championships — 1st total | Juniors
- 2015 World Affiliation of Benchers and Deadlifters (WABDL) North American — 1st total | Juniors
- 2017 USPA DCS Winter Open — 2nd total | Open
- 2019 USPA California State Championships — 1st total | Open
- 2020 USPA Iron Mongers Professional Day — 1st total | Open
- 2021 World Uncooked Powerlifting Federation (WRPF) The Bucked Up Showdown — 4th total | Open
- 2022 USPA Virginia Seaside Traditional 2 — 1st total | Open
Advantages of Quantity Lifting
It’s one factor for an athlete to check their max energy with one nice rep. It’s one other activity to push for a excessive quantity with a level of problem.
Analysis has proven that pushing quantity on a short-term foundation with a elevate might be integral to progress for a aggressive athlete. Nevertheless, it’s not advisable to concentrate on quantity solely. An athlete ought to combine it with high-intensity, i.e., a difficult however nonetheless attainable weight.
Deadlifting for quantity locations appreciable stress on the decrease physique, too. The exercise is a good activator of an athlete’s hamstrings and gluteus maximus muscular tissues (or butt), however these aren’t its major benefactors. Partly due to the character of the pull and eventual rep lockout, the deadlift primarily facilities on activating an athlete’s quads and erector spinae (or again muscular tissues). (2)
If a powerlifter equivalent to Grigsby can pull a deadlift for each energy and quantity, then it could seem he’s acting at or close to high stage once more.
Grigsby has not but introduced when he’ll compete in one other powerlifting meet. At any time when that does occur, he has stated his subsequent main objective is to elevate a 1,043.3-kilogram (2,300-pound) whole between the squat, bench press, and deadlift. That whole would make Grigsby second all-time behind a 1,053-kilogram (2,321.5-pound) world file set by Zac Meyers on the 2020 USPA No Luck Wanted Open.
One potential upcoming choice for an occasion is the 2022 WRPF American Professional, which is able to happen on July 29-30, 2022, in Manassas, VA. Grigsby competed in a WRPF occasion (his first-ever) as lately as September 2021 and will look to take action once more.
If his latest deadlift coaching is any indication, Grigsby might proceed to achieve his formidable targets no matter wherever he competes subsequent.
- Colquhuon, R.J., et al. (2018). Coaching Quantity, Not Frequency, Indicative of Maximal Energy Diversifications to Resistance Coaching. Journal of Energy and Conditioning Analysis. Might 2018; Vol 32 (5); p. 1207-1213
- Martín-Fuentes, I., Oliva-Lozano, J.M., Muyor, J.M. (2020). Electromyographic exercise in deadlift train and its variants. A scientific evaluate. PLOS One. Feb 2020; 15(2)
Featured picture: @dan_grigs on Instagram