On Might 5, 2022, the World’s Strongest Man (WSM) group introduced over their Instagram that Iranian strongman Peiman Maheripourehir will sadly not partake within the 2022 WSM on Might 24-29, 2022, in Sacramento, California. Following the information of Maheripourehir’s withdrawal, Manuel Angulo was revealed as his alternative, rounding out the 30-person lineup.
Maheripourehir was final a fixture of the occasion in the course of the 2018 WSM, and this yr was to mark his return to the competitors. In line with an approximate translation of a since-removed story on Maheripourehir’s Instagram, he withdrew due to points together with his visa.
With Maheripourehir’s withdrawal, the 2022 WSM has now seen three separate dropouts in as many weeks. Mateusz Kieliszkowski stepped down in early April 2022, citing a leg ailment, whereas later that month, Rauno Heinla handled undisclosed issues following a staggering Silver Greenback deadlift.
As for Maheripourehir, his best-ever end was a third-place consequence within the group warmth in the course of the 2017 WSM. The Iranian athlete had since grown more and more stronger, notching a 492-kilogram (1,084-pound) deadlift in March 2021 — placing him on the verge of the extremely unique 500-kilogram (1,102.3-pound) deadlift membership. Alas, he’ll have to attend at the least one other yr earlier than placing a few of his new energy on show in a WSM once more.
Strongman Manuel Angulo will take Maheripourehir’s place on the 2022 WSM roster. It will likely be the WSM debut for the 45-year-old Chilean athlete.
Right here is the up to date 2022 WSM lineup with Maheripourehir’s withdrawal:
2022 WSM Roster, Up to date
- Tom Stoltman (United Kingdom) — Reigning WSM Champion
- Brian Shaw (United States) — 2021 WSM 2nd place
- Maxime Boudreault (Canada) — 2021 WSM third place
- Mitchell Hooper (Canada)
- Pavlo Kordiyaka (Ukraine)
- Rob Kearney (United States)
- Gabriel Peña (Mexico)
- Kelvin de Ruiter (Netherlands)
- Kim Ujarak (Greenland)
- Mark Felix (United Kingdom)
- Pa O’Dwyer (Eire)
- Shane Flowers (United Kingdom)
- Jean-Stephen Coraboeuf (Australia)
- Bobby Thompson (United States)
- Aivars Smaukstelis (Latvia)
- Adam Bishop (United Kingdom)
- Evan Singleton (United States)
- Eythor Ingolfsson Melsted (Iceland)
- Konstantine Janashia (Georgia)
- Charles “Trey” Mitchell (United States)
- Mika Törrö (Finland)
- Manuel Angulo (Chile)
- Luke Stoltman (United Kingdom)
- Bobby Thompson (United States)
- Kevin Faires (United States)
- Nedžmin Ambešković (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
- Gabriel Rheaume (Canada)
- Martins Licis (United States)
- Gavin Bilton (United Kingdom)
- Oleksii Novikov (Ukraine)
A Tall Process
Whereas he may not be the most important identify on paper, Angulo will enter the 2022 WSM with excessive hopes. He most lately featured in a global competitors in the course of the 2021 Official Strongman Video games whereas competing within the Grasp’s Males Over 40 division. Angulo missed the lower for that occasion’s finals, whereas the legendary Žydrūnas “Huge Z” Savickas was the eventual winner.
In his WSM debut, Angulo faces tall odds amidst a stacked subject. Among the extra notable names embrace defending champion Tom Stoltman, 2020 victor Oleksii Novikov, 2019 champ Martin Licis, and four-time winner Brian Shaw. An underdog like Trey Mitchell might additionally shock the highest contenders. All that stated, it’s undoubtedly a superb improvement for Angulo, who will assuredly attempt to make some noise.
The 2022 World’s Strongest Man will happen on Might 24-29, 2022, in Sacramento, CA.
Featured picture: @peiman.maheri.wsm on Instagram