Household fashion deconstructed dinners everybody will love
This weblog publish is sponsored by my consumer: Canada’s Meals Island https://canadasfoodisland.ca/
As a Registered Dietitian and mum or dad, considered one of my favorite methods to show households that could be juggling a variety of eaters with totally different meals preferences is to design deconstructed dinners.
One instance of a deconstructed meal is the idea of a energy bowl. Learn on to search out out extra about what to place in an influence bowl that’s easy, wholesome and filled with flavour! I can even be sharing a easy weekday recipe for a PEI Potato Fajita Energy Bowl that you’re going to love!
What’s a deconstructed dinner?
A deconstructed dinner is a meal that’s served household fashion in separate bowls so everybody can serve themselves. Deconstructed meals may also be served on particular person plates with meals divided to permit members of the family to eat the meals in their very own means or pattern objects individually.
This idea works nicely for:
- households which have choosy eaters
- households with each meat eaters and vegetarians
- households with somebody that has meals allergic reactions
- households which have somebody delicate to sure textures of meals
- people and households that get pleasure from “cook dinner as soon as, eat twice” repurposed meals (cooking further of 1 merchandise to enter a brand new completely totally different meal tomorrow)
Since you possibly can put together totally different choices and every member of the family can choose objects they like, deconstructed meals are a win-win for everybody consuming collectively which will have totally different wants or meals preferences.
What are the parts of wholesome deconstructed meals and bowls?
Take into consideration together with the three core parts of a balanced meal (grains/starches, veggies/fruit and a supply of protein) if you find yourself making a deconstructed meal or wholesome energy bowl. Here’s a 4 step information to constructing a wholesome energy bowl:
Step 1: Choose a grain/starch:
- Potatoes (leftover oven roasted potatoes wedges, leftover sliced baked potatoes, boiled child potatoes, air-fryer potato slices and extra)
- Leftover cubes of candy potatoes/yams/plantain or corn
- Rice, brown rice or forbidden black rice
- Quinoa, couscous, barley, millet, buckwheat and different grains
- Pasta/noodles (resembling pasta, rice vermicelli, ramen or others)
- Complete grain taco chips or crackers
Step 2: Load up on veggies and fruit:
- Uncooked veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, celery, carrots, snow peas, peppers, tomatoes, jicama, grated beets, cucumber and extra)
- Salads/greens (kale, arugula, cabbage, lettuce, spinach and extra)
- Frozen cooked veggies (Asian stir-fry combine, carrots, inexperienced/yellow beans, blended veggies, peas, spinach and extra)
- Contemporary cooked veggies (steamed/stir-fried/grilled/roasted asparagus, beets, bok choy, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, eggplant, inexperienced/yellow beans, mushrooms, parsnips, peas, squash, candy peppers, Swiss chard, turnip, zucchini)
- Canned greens (artichokes, pickled eggplant, roasted crimson peppers, chipotle scorching peppers, sundried tomatoes and extra)
- Contemporary fruits (mango, apples, berries, kiwi, pineapple and extra)
- Dried fruits (dried cranberries, dates, figs, dried mangoes, raisins, prunes and extra)
Step 3: Embody protein:
- Beef/hen/turkey/pork/wild sport (leftover cooked strips, cubes or sliced roast)
- Fish/seafood (cooked fish, canned tuna/salmon, shrimp, prawns, scallops and different seafood
- Arduous-boiled peeled and sliced eggs, pan-fried eggs or poached eggs
- Cubes/grated laborious cheese, feta, cottage cheese, bocconcini, ricotta, paneer
- Tofu, tempeh, edamame, soy nuts, TVP (textured vegetable protein), soy curls
- Meatless choices (sliced veggie burger, patties, balls/bites, floor/crumbles)
- Beans/legumes (lentils, chickpeas, black beans, pinto beans, canned baked beans, falafel, black bean/lentil pasta and extra)
- Nuts, seeds, hemp hearts
Step 4: End with dressing and garnish:
- French dressing or creamy salad dressing
- Flavored olive oil and flavored balsamic vinegar
- Bitter cream, salsa and/or guacamole
- Stir-fry sauce or soya sauce/tamari
- Hummus and/or tzatziki
- Sliced sundried tomatoes packed in oil
- Olives or olive tapenade
- Dried herbs, spices or seasonings
- Contemporary herbs
- And extra!
What are some examples of wholesome bowl themes?
The chances are limitless in relation to excited about assembling deconstructed meals and wholesome bowls. Listed here are 7 wholesome bowl themes and a listing of potential substances to get you began.
See under for a tasty recipe courtesy of Canada’s Meals Island utilizing world well-known PEI potatoes: https://canadasfoodisland.ca/recipe/potato-fajita-power-bowl/
1. PEI Potato Fajita Energy Bowl
Take your loved ones’s fajita night time to the subsequent stage with this Potato Fajita Energy Bowl recipe courtesy of https://canadasfoodisland.ca/.
Serve household fashion and have everybody construct their very own bowl simply the best way they prefer it.
- 4 medium PEI Potatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp further virgin olive oil
- pinch sea salt
- 2 small bell peppers
- 1 small crimson onion
- 1 cup Romaine lettuce
- 1 lb PEI beef strips
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp low sodium fajita seasoning
- 1 cup frozen corn niblets
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup guacamole
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- On a parchment-lined baking sheet add potatoes, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Prepare dinner for 20-25 minutes till crispy.
- Whereas potatoes are roasting, chop crimson onion, bell peppers and lettuce. Put aside in separate bowls.
- In a big fry pan or skillet, add beef strips, water and fajita seasoning. Stir fry for 5- 7 minutes.
- Add corn niblets to beef combination and stir fry for an extra 3 minutes. Place beef combination in bowl.
- Place roasted potatoes in bowls and assemble with remaining substances. Prime with salsa and guacamole.
2. Italian Caprese Salad Bowl
- Cooked linguine or different pasta
- Roasted cherry tomatoes (place entire cherry tomatoes within the oven or in a BBQ basket on the grill sprinkled with salt, pepper, minced garlic and a drizzle of olive oil; cook dinner till tomatoes burst and char barely)
- Contemporary basil leaves, sliced
- Mini bocconcini cheese balls
- Canned cannellini beans, drained and warmed
- Prime with a drizzle of olive oil and recent squeezed lemon juice, salt and pepper or pesto
3. Indian Veggie Bowl
- Steamed or roasted cauliflower
- Steamed frozen peas
- Uncooked spinach leaves
- Cooked diced hen breast/thigh or leftover rotisserie hen
- Canned, drained chick peas
- Home made or bought butter hen sauce
4. Tuna Niçoise Salad Bowl
- Boiled or roasted child potatoes (or cubes of recent/frozen roasted candy potatoes)
- Canned tuna or recent cooked tuna or different fish
- Sliced laborious cooked eggs
- Steamed recent inexperienced beans
- Cherry tomatoes or sliced recent tomatoes
- Butter lettuce
- Home made or bought French dressing
5. Buddha Tofu Bowl
- Rice vermicelli, rice, ramen noodles or udon noodles
- Pan-fried, grilled or oven baked tofu
- Stir-fried bok choy or cabbage and crimson peppers in soya sauce/tamari
- Stir fried carrots and broccoli or snow peas in soya sauce/tamari
- Prime together with your favourite home made or retailer purchased stir-fry sauce
- Prime with sesame seeds or cashews
6. Mango Shrimp Rice Bowl
- Cooked rice
- Chilly cooked shrimp or heat pan-fried/grilled shrimp)
- Cubes of recent mango (or grilled frozen mango)
- Cucumber sliced into rounds
- Grated carrots
- Thinly sliced cabbage orcoleslaw
- Sliced snap peas
- Home made/bought lime ginger, peanut soy or different Asian impressed French dressing
7. Greek Hen Bowl
- Potatoes, rice or pita bread slices
- Sliced hen
- Feta cheese
- Crimson and inexperienced peppers
- Diced cucumbers
- Diced tomatoes
- Sliced crimson onions
- Kalamata or black olives
- Home made or bought Greek salad dressing
Enjoyable details about PEI potatoes
The primary bowl concept for a PEI Potato Fajita Energy Bowl makes use of world famend PEI potatoes so listed below are some enjoyable details you may discover fascinating about PEI potatoes:
- The one greatest trade is potatoes on Prince Edward Island, Canada’s Meals Island. PEI farmers are potato specialists. For over 200 years, they’ve contributed to over $1 Billion to the island financial system. They’re additionally loved all through Canada and are exported to 30 international locations all over the world.
- The iron-rich soil in PEI makes the potatoes a few of the finest tasting on the earth. They’re wholesome, nutritious, and scrumptious and might simply be added to weeknight meals.
- PEI potato farmers develop tons of of sorts, however the Russet Burbank is the most important selection. It’s used for recent, processing and rising for seed.
- Regardless of being the smallest province, PEI is the most important potato producer in Canada.
- Retailer potatoes in a cool, dry place, however not the fridge! Potatoes love the shade, so preserve them out of the sunshine!
- There are over 100 styles of potatoes grown in Canada however PEI’s #1 potato selection is russet Burbank, which is an outdated selection bred by Luther Burbank in CA within the 1880’s. It has remained common over time with growers as a result of it’s excessive yielding, and common with customers as a result of it’s a nice multi-purpose potato – nice for baking, boiling and French fries.
- Be taught extra about PEI potatoes at www.peipotato.org
Potato vitamin details
- One medium potato (5.3 oz), with the pores and skin, accommodates 45 p.c of the day by day worth for vitamin C; as a lot or extra potassium (620 mg) than both banana, spinach, or broccoli; 10 p.c of the day by day worth of B6; and hint quantities of thiamin, riboflavin, folate, magnesium, phosphorous, iron, and zinc.
Diet Information for 1 medium potato:
- Energy: 110 energy
- Fats: 0 g
- Ldl cholesterol: 0 mg
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Potassium: 620 mg(18% Every day Worth)
- Vitamin C: 27mg (45% Every day Worth)
- Vitamin B6: 0.2mg (10percentEvery day Worth)
- Fiber: 2g 8% Every day Worth
The place can I discover out extra about PEI potatoes and different Prince Edward Island impressed meals and recipes?
Head over to https://canadasfoodisland.ca/ and be taught extra about Canada’s Meals Island and all of the tasty meals grown and produced domestically in Prince Edward Island.
On the lookout for extra fast and straightforward meal concepts? Check out these recipes!